Sunday, April 11, 2010

porches


me and porches go back a long way. my inspiration for this attachment probably goes back to my favorite movie, to kill a mockingbird, with scout and atticus swinging on their front porch and talking about things that matter. my mom's riverside porch swing keeps me at peace with myself with the rhythm of the chain clanking against chain as i gently glide my feet back and forth to keep moving. and as we build the little cabin for my mom across the street, its essence is the porch that looks out into an open meadow with sometime cows and always wide open space. i guess the house was built around the view. and there will be a front porch, too, to watch the old homestead and the river goings-on. we need entry ways to secure our inside where we guard our secrets. but the porches themselves are there for all to see and for those lucky enough to sit a while, looking out from them, all can see us. it's all about openness, i think, this draw i have towards porches. or maybe i am guarding my secrets, keeping watch, enjoying someone else's openness. there will be rocking chairs and swings and time to figure it all out someday..on my porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment