Monday, November 23, 2009

pileated woodpecker, 1976


i am trying to write a piece about my transformation from creationist to true believer in science. Dr. Kenneth Miller, in his book, Finding Darwin's God, meticulously answers each of my questions regarding the fossil record, the biochemical possibilities in changing matter and the truth about mutation. I am forever grateful that he listened to the creation scientists' arguments and refutes them one by one with sound data. At last, someone from the evolution side takes the time to explain why it can't be so. It seems other scientists have refused, which added flame to the fire of intelligent designers' passion.
And here is a peak inside my innocent creationist mind, from my 1976 journal. I meant no harm in my beliefs. Indeed I saw the vestigial gills in the cat in my anatomy lab in college, but i also tripped over creationist pamphlets in the hallway saying evolution was from satan. (bible belt college) My relationship with God was emotional yet central to my growth at that time in my life. Creation made sense to me; it fit my God of wonder and miracles. And now, evolution fits Him even more, as my eyes are opened. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment